LEMON LAVENDER + BERRY CHEESECAKE
Raw / Vegan / Dairy-free / Paleo / Gluten-free / Refined Sugar-free
I'm still buzzing from a very successful workshop I had the pleasure of running last fortnight called 'Some Like It Hot'. The day was just wonderful.
I truly love what I do! It's an amazing feeling being able to help and inspire others that are passionate about health, wellbeing and downright tasty nourishing food.
Fiona, a close friend of mine was there on the day, and I was very touched that she chose to be at this particular workshop as it was her birthday. Rather than a million other lovely things she could have chosen to do for her special day she was there with me, so thank you Fiona, you are such a lovely shining person - much love to you!
I won't go through the day in too much detail with this post, as I will be creating something separate about the workshop shortly, including a recipe or two from the day and some lovely snaps.
The very talented Ali from Hello Petal Photography was there to capture the special moments and gorgeous food - I can't wait to share them with you soon!
Oh how I love this fragrant little beauty. You can probably tell from the many photos on my blog that include a stem of lavender here and there! The smell always lifts my mood and I love eating it too. There are loads of edible flowers, which I pick whenever I can to sprinkle over salads, cakes and slices.
Many people know of lavenders calmative and healing properties when made into an essential oil, so it may not come as a surprise that is also has many health benefits when taken internally. Lavender contains useable calcium which is great for bone health, Vitamin A which is fab for your skin and mucus membrane health, and lavender may even ease the symptoms associated with premenstrual syndrome, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
Asides from its super-powers, it tastes really good! A little goes a long way so don't add more than you need as it can become overpowering. You want it to be more of a subtle, lingering background note that accompanies the sweet creaminess of the cheesecake.
Lets get into it!
Dreamy Raw Lemon, Lavender & Berry Cheesecake
2 cups almonds
1 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup medjool dates, pitted
a good pinch of pink salt
1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or essence is ok here)
- Whizz almonds in a food processor until they are broken down, but not to a fine meal.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend until a dough like consistency is achieved.
- Press firmly into a round cake pan lined with baking paper and pop into the fridge while you are preparing the filling.
2 cups truly raw cashews, soaked overnight and rinsed
meat from 1 Thai coconut or 1 cup of full fat coconut cream*
1 cup frozen berries of your choice - cherries, blueberries or raspberries work well with the lemon and lavender flavour
1/4 cup nut milk
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup raw honey or raw coconut nectar
1/2 cup extra virgin coconut oil, melted
1 tablespoon organic dried lavender heads (just ensure you pick and dry some that has not been sprayed), plus extra for decorating
1 tablespoon vanilla paste (or essence is ok here)
zest from 1 large lemon
a good pinch of pink salt
- Give the lavender heads a quick blitz in a food processor to break down to a coarse crumb consistency, or remove soft edible flower parts by hand and chop. Set aside*
- Blend the cashews, coconut meat, berries, nut milk, lemon juice, coconut oil, sweetener, salt and vanilla paste till smooth. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and fold the lavender through the filling.
- Pour the filling over the base and set in the freezer. When ready to serve, transfer to the fridge for a little while to soften before serving.
- Sprinkle with extra lavender to make even prettier!
If using coconut cream this recipe will not be fully raw
If you find lavender strong tasting, blend it with the rest of your ingredients rather than folding through later. The only downside to this is the lovely lavender flecks will not be as visible.