COCONUT COMA CAKE
Paleo / Dairy-free / Gluten-free / Refined Sugar-free
If there were ever a recipe that could define me and all that I love about food, that showcases my 'can't live without' staples, then this would be it.
There's a copious amount of coconut in this cake, in every form you could imagine. You could happily slip into a coconut coma, never wanting to return from it's heavenly taste. The toasted caramel coconut topping is totally moorish, in fact, the entire cake is simply divine.
This cake is so easy to whip up, healthy, and contains important MCT (medium-chain triglyceride) fats to fuel your precious bod and give you a ton of energy. My kids love this served with a dollop of coconut yoghurt (just when you thought there couldn't possibly be another product made from this amazing food!) and fresh berries when in season.
COCONUT COMA CAKE
3/4 cup coconut oil
3/4 cup coconut sugar
3 organic free range eggs
1 tsp pure vanilla essence
1 cup coconut milk/cream
1 1/2 cups almond meal
1/2 cup coconut flour
1/4 cup tapioca flour
50g coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 tbsp coconut milk
Directions for cake:
- Preheat oven to 180c and either line a springform round cake tin or oil a silicone cake mould
- In a mixing bowl, or straight into a food processor, cream together coconut oil and sugar
- Add eggs, one at a time until well incorporated
- Add vanilla and coconut milk and mix again
- Add almond meal, coconut flour, tapioca flour and mix to combine
- Pour mixture into cake tin and bake for 40 minutes - insert a skewer to ensure cake is almost done. If it is really moist, (all ovens are different) leave another 10 minutes before checking again.
- Make topping while cake is baking
Directions for topping:
- Place coconut oil in a medium sized saucepan and heat on low until melted
- Once completely melted, add coconut sugar and milk and mix to combine
- Quickly after, add coconut and mix until combined. Remove from heat immediately
- Once cake has been baking for 40 minutes, remove cake from oven and carefully as to not burn yourself, scoop the mixture out evenly over the top of cake, smoothing out with the back of a spoon.
- Once topped, place back in oven for a further 5-10 minutes, checking after 5 minutes that the topping is beautifully golden.
- Leave cake to cool completely before removing from pan.
- Serve with a good dollop of coconut yoghurt. Click here to find out where you can buy yours.